Search Newly Celiac

Sunday 19 February 2012

The quest for bread that doesn't taste like gritty playdough...

I guess the key to gluten free living is to change my thinking somewhat.  I can NOT try to make my diet the way it was by finding gluten free substitutions...as I have been doing...I need to start a journey with gluten free recipes and learn a new way to cook and live ...leaving my old ways behind...Here is the story of my ongoing quest for tolerable gluten free bread...
     I started out by trying those breads in the freezer section of the grocery store...ewwww...except for Udi's hot dog buns..toasted they are heavy but CLOSE to the real thing...and the okay  bagels from Glutino...again they MUST be toasted..
     Then I went onto bread mixes...also hugely disappointing ...except for Celimix bread mix which isn't very good for bread but definitely YUMMY for pizza crust!!  I made the bread recipe following the package directions and after letting it rise, drenched my fingers in rice flour and spread the dough on a pizza pan...it is VERY sticky and has a consistency of thick toothpaste but with the flour on my fingers I spread it and then added Daddy's special spaghetti sauce...(see recipes),  cheese and Grimm's gluten free lunch meat (salami, pepperoni etc...) and Mozzarella cheese...My family LOVED it!!!
     Next I started surfing the net for the "best bread recipes"...the $45 hot dog buns was the best bun type recipe so far...tolerable and even yummy right out of the oven...not so good two days later....I tried a few others but have not been pleased...ONE.. I didn't even eat :(   I have started to notice the the old school gluten free people try to avoid potato and tapioca flours and go more for the starches...some recommend psyllium husk be added and many make their own all purpose flour blends...
     I even drove many miles/km out of my way to find a bakery ...one bakery said gluten free but when I got there I found that she meant wheat free...not necessarily gluten free...only wheat gluten free...WHAT???   the other bakery (just opened two days before) only had baked goods so far..but WOW! cupcakes that would rival any other cupcake and brownies that were perfect!!  I purchased some of their all purpose flour and went in search of more online recipes...sigh...why cant my middle daughter eat rice cakes???

No comments:

Post a Comment