Search Newly Celiac

Thursday 9 February 2012

The difficult lunch

My ten year old daughter is very thin and has always been a picky eater  I found myself struggling to make her lunches in the first place and NOW???!!!  She used to at last try to eat a peanut butter sandwich...she wont eat Thermos food or anything WEIRD  or UNCOOL  (eggs, tuna...)...sigh.  She has been great with the breakfast...even eats breakfast now...and with dinner most times... but LUNCH!!  I have her make her own lunches now so I know she will at least eat SOMETHING  ..here are some ideas we came up with together....
The puffed rice bars...like a granola bar without the granola..rice crackers, pretzels, oranges, apples and some veggies and other fruits...I sent her cereal once but she refused to take the milk...even with an ice pack she said it gets too warm...she has to have SOME protein ??!!!  I finally came upon the wonderful substance PEANUT BUTTER!!!  (or almond butter etc...even peanut-less nut butter   if you school is peanut free) She takes a container with a big glob of the yummy stuff in it with things that she LIKES to dip in..celery, a banana...crackers...I feel like she is being fed and she is happy to eat it...it is only healthy if they EAT it right ??  I am so grateful that our house is GLUTEN FREE!!!  Now any food choice my family makes is safe for our little one with Celiac and the struggles to keep things decontaminated are non-existent..PLUS  having Down syndrome already excludes our little one from many things in life...having a heart condition does too...how fair would it be for us to sit and eat puffy bread (gosh I SO miss puffy bread) while she eats playdough type gluten free bread (still working on the perfect bread recipe.....the $45 buns were wonderful but still somewhat heavy and well...I don't have a mixer anymore :P  I really love the brown rice tortillas..they stay in your freezer and thaw in seconds and are even good untoasted!  Gosh I never realized how close i would be with my new toaster...should have invested in a higher quality one..new mixer is first...Today is hot lunch and of course I pre-paid not knowing about the diagnosis...the school PAC was amazing and they have agreed to go against their no refunds policy and let me have a credit towards my other daughter's hot lunch instead :)

No comments:

Post a Comment