Search Newly Celiac

Friday 3 February 2012

Day 8: the $45 hotdog buns :(

     I decided to make the gluten free hot dog buns with my little preschool class today...the BUNS turned out to be a little weird looking because the batter was like toothpaste at first and when i placed them on the baking sheet, each little bun had spikes sticking out where the dough had stuck to my fingers..like a porcupine..lol.  The instructions said to mix the dough in a bread machine...sadly I had to give mine away :'(  ...  )or to use a free-standing mixer with a dough paddle.  I figured WHY NOT USE my regular MIXER??!!   Sigh...after the smoke cleared I realized that my mixer couldn't handle this tough glob of dough and was actually on fire ...sigh again ...add a new mixer to the list of appliances..I am starting to feel Amish...
     After all of that...the buns actually baked up and tasted like regular dinner rolls..a titch heavy but YUMMY!!  We had all missed bread SO much they were a  REAL treat.  My youngest didn't even eat a hot dog...she just wanted a bun :P
     I am going to try my hand at bread baking this weekend...the bread we bought pre-made in the frozen section did not impress anyone, the DOG would NOT even eat it...My hubby found a pretty good rice bread that was not frozen but very dry and you sort of have to choke it down.  Hopefully I can find a puffy bread recipe :)
     This week is my hubby's turn to make lunches for the girls...he was a bit overwhelmed at first but I helped and he is getting the hang of it.  I thawed some of the chocolate chip cookie bars I had baked the week before (I always save a bit and freeze some of whatever I bake or make so we have a quick dinner on a night when we are rushed..not like we can just go grab a pizza or McDonald's any more :(  He really appreciated that..
    One of the other parents at our little school was so kind and brought us two BIG boxes of Chex cereal.  Rice and honey nut...Chex has ALWAYS been gluten free :) YUM!!  We have been eating them as night-time snacks :)

No comments:

Post a Comment