Search Newly Celiac

Thursday 2 February 2012

Day 2: the Quest for recipies: WAFFLES!!!

The only good thing about yesterday (day one) was the fact that I gave almost all of the food items to my eldest son who suffers from mental health issues and FINALLY has a space in a recovery house for his addictions...SO the appliances and food, although somewhat enabling...were put to good use...The second good thing was the outpouring of support I found in my Facebook friends (some of whom I forgot that I had even added) and the community itself...hover around the gluten free section of a grocery store long enough and you can connect with people who "get it".
  Things were looking up as I found yummy cookie bars, pretzels and rice crackers that everyone LOVED .  MY hubby started to warm to the idea and be more supportive when he found he could have MORE MEAT in his diet and I splurged and made a chocolate chip cookie recipe that was TO DIE FOR...from a mix...My middle daughter said she ALREADY felt WAY more energetic and was willing to eat the new cereals and that her running had ALREADY improved...I too felt A LOT better...at the age of 44 it was one of the first times I woke up feeling good and not aching everywhere...I didn't bounce out of bed it just didn't hurt to do so...lunches were hard because we had become a bit of a junk food junkie family and DEFINITELY bread lovers....got a little more flack from hubby when he discovered that the bread tasted like and had the consistency of play-dough...even when toasted...and me...I miss puffy bread...sigh...
     I found a few more pastas and discovered that plain chips were ok ..Cyclone brand from save on anyways...did you notice I HADN'T (other than the catsup) tackled the fridge and freezers yet ???  I DID find Gluten free waffles and although the directions kinda freaked me out...it kept repeating over and over MUST be cooked for a minimum of 10 minutes..even if you oven is better or worse than other ovens MUST cook for ten minutes...the waffles were WELL DONE and hard and crispy AND we had to eat them with corn syrup because fake maple syrup had caramel colour which contains malt...{p.s. all but the malt vinegar and cheap balsamic could stay,  PLUS all cooking oils :)  }  Back to the waffles they were a GODSEND and my hubby and I finished the "contraband" AMAZING slow cooker beef I had made with mushroom soup (not gluten free...) before we knew about his...THEN we brushed our teeth, washed our hands and faces, and threw out the container it was stored in...did I mention ALL the Tupperware had to go ??!!!  Lunch containers..storage containers etc were all ...sob...contaminated.

No comments:

Post a Comment